Monday, January 7, 2013

Renaissance?

Here it is: my first shoot of the new year. I have been dressing extremely casually lately. It has been nice to leave my crazy shoes in the closet, and toss on whatever feels comfortable.











I feel as though a year ago I would have thought to myself, "Jackie...what are you thinking doing a shoot in a pair of jeans, a sweater, and a plain jacket?". Now, really I wouldn't label such an outfit as "plain". There's something so personal about the way in which each person styles what they wear. Here I have slightly tucked my jeans into my boots, added an over-sized element with my sweater, and tossed on my Veda Max leather jacket (my number one staple the past few months) to contrast the length and size of my sweater. To finish everything off I added my grandmother's jewelry. When she was still alive, she worked for the Museum of Natural History in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Almost all of her jewelry consists of old pieces from various First Nation tribes. My personal favorite is her squash blossom necklace (the necklace with different animal figures), which is said to carry the spirit of anyone who touches it. With such a sense of thought, detail, styling, and personal history I don't think any such outfit can be labeled as "plain".

The truth is as my style has evolved, I try less to be noticed, and I search more for the types of pieces I want to live in. Getting dressed is about celebrating your individuality--where you come from, and what you have come to. Isn't style about just being yourself and being comfortable with that?

Jacket: Veda, Sweater: TrouvĂ©, Jeans: Rag & Bone, Boots: Jeffrey Campbell Tripoli, Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs Flipping Out Satchel, Sunglasses: Tom Ford Carrie 

7 comments:

  1. I think you look amazing- wearing sky high heels or going for a more casual look! In the end, it's all you, and that's what makes it special!

    I really love that bag. I thought about getting it myself for Christmas, but ended up going for another one instead.
    Ava Tallulah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great look! Loving your boots and sunnies!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.HeyLoveBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ahve such great style, I love all your necklaces and those sunglasses look awesome on you! xx

    fashiontatt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking back on old pictures and wondering what was I wearing! Style changes are really cool, shows you how much we've all grown! hope all is well and love the boots

    http://underthefluorescents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. that jacket is gorgeous, i'd wear it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are looking awesome with casual dress. Right choice of leather jacket, jeans, shoes and bags make you more beautiful.

    Amazing outfits, Everyone should prefer those for winter


    womens cashmere sweaters

    ReplyDelete